Question #5 Monomania-Jessica Huff
Monomania is a psychological obsession with one thing in particular. In Ahab's case this obsession is killing Moby Dick, which becomes quite apparent in chapter thirty-seven. Although the reader has always accepted the notion that Ahab wanted to kill Moby Dick, in chapter thirty-seven, Ahab's need for revenge turns out to be more than a healthy amount of anger and better described as an unhealthy obsession. The statement that Ahab made that is essential to this conclusion is "I lost this leg, I now prophesy that I will dismember my dismember. Now, then, be the prophet and the fulfiller one." Ahab makes an oath to take revenge on Moby Dick by dismembering him. This statement makes it quite clear that Ahab has an obsession with revenge, most probably because Moby Dick threatens Ahab's position as king of the sea.
-Jessica Huff
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home