QUESTION NUMBER 5 BY CAILIN LOYD
5. the "Sunset" soliloquy
Ahab's soliloquy represents his obsession, or monomania, with the feeling of anger he has in himself for Moby Dick. Throughout the soliloquy he mentions the fact that all of the people in his life feel an intense anger toward him.
"Or, if you will, like so many ant-hills of powder, they all stand before me; and I their match. Oh, hard! that to fire others, the match itself must needs be wasting! What I've dared, I've willed; and what I've willed, I'll do! They think me mad—Starbuck does; but I'm demoniac, I am madness maddened! That wild madness that's only calm to comprehend itself! "
This only supports the idea that Ahab experiences anger, obsession and intense paranoia to the fullest extent. His mental state is unstable, he could erupt into anger at the slightest comment or anything that annoys him or makes him angry. It also reflects on his ability to focus on something and leave all other thought aside; he does not mention any other topic than that of anger, but also mentions the prophecy of Moby Dick. This supports the idea that Moby DIck is his fullest focus and the center of his priorities.
BY CAILIN LOYD
1 Comments:
#5
Yes, but what is monomania. 4/5
Post a Comment
<< Home